Monday, April 26, 2004

Bomb Damage Assessment

I was playing some more poker this morning when Party decided to go ass end up. Of course, it decided to die right as I was winning a pot. I guess I should be happy it wasn't a monster. I had KJs and the flop came AA2 with one of my suit. I bet and everyone folded for a $2.50 win, but it never got credited I'm sure, so that figures.

Anyway, since I appear to have some spare time now, I decided to go back and see what exactly went wrong yesterday. PokerTracker rocks the free world, by the way. If you have any aspirations to improve your game, you'll get PokerTracker. It is, without a doubt, worth it's weight in checks. Tall, towering stacks of checks.

A nice feature of PokerTracker is you can replay hands. Further, you can filter hands to replay on certain criteria. Since I want to see what happened in hands I played in, I selected to see all hands where I saw the flop. You'll remember yesterday I broke down my losses by what I thought were the causes. Well, my friends, the numbers don't lie. Here's a breakdown of some of the hands I ended up in and a little post hand analysis to go along with it. I invite you all to use the comments section liberally to cut me up give me feedback on these hands. Details will be provided upon request... So, here we go into the land of Make believe!

Hand #1

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) converter

Button ($35.15)

SB ($34.88)

ICP_Paul ($25)

UTG ($21.23)

UTG+1 ($35.80)

MP1 ($25)

MP2 ($26)

CO ($18.18)



Preflop: ICP_Paul is BB with Jd, Ks.

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, SB folds, ICP_Paul checks.



Flop: ($1.75) Qh, Ac, 5s (3 players)

ICP_Paul checks, MP2 bets $1, Button calls $1, ICP_Paul calls $1.



Turn: ($4.75) 8h (3 players)

ICP_Paul checks, MP2 bets $1, Button calls $1, ICP_Paul folds.



River: ($6.75) 9d (2 players)

MP2 bets $1
, Button folds.



Final Pot: $7.75

Results:

MP2 doesn't show.

Outcome: MP2 wins $7.75.

This was probably a good laydown. I'm only 11-1 to catch the gutshot and the pot is only laying me something like 7-1 odds. Fold-o-rama.

Hand #2

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: ICP_Paul is CO with 6h, 6c.

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, ICP_Paul calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.



Flop: (5.50 SB) 2h, Jh, 3h (5 players)

BB bets
, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, ICP_Paul folds.


I always have trouble with pocket pairs. This one seemed like a good idea. Even though one of my 6's is a heart, giving me 4 to the flush, I can almost guerentee that there's a bigger heart out there somewhere, so that's not really an option. If I hit my set I could still be dead. Only a boat will help me here, and I'm far from it. Fold.

Hand #3

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: ICP_Paul is Button with Js, 8s.

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, ICP_Paul calls, SB completes, BB checks.



Flop: (4 SB) Ts, Ks, 4h (4 players)

SB checks, BB checks, MP2 bets, ICP_Paul calls, SB folds, BB calls.



Turn: (3.50 BB) Kc (3 players)

BB checks, MP2 bets, ICP_Paul calls, BB folds.



River: (5.50 BB) As (2 players)

MP2 bets
, ICP_Paul raises, MP2 3-bets, ICP_Paul calls.



Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Results:

MP2 shows Ac Kd (full house, kings full of aces).

ICP_Paul shows Js 8s (flush, ace high).

Outcome: MP2 wins 11.50 BB.


Here's a fun one! On the flop I'm clearly behind here, but only by a little. With the pot laying me 5-1 odds with the lead out bet, this is an easy call. When the second King hits, I'm getting nervous, but my flush still beats a set. I'm clearly behind now, but I'm still okay odds wise with the bet by MP2, with the pot now giving me 4.5-1 with a 4-1 draw. Close, but still good. Then the river comes with one of the two cards in the deck that kills me. Figures. Of course, I'm thinking my flush is the nuts here, so I raise it up, only to get hit with a re-raise. Since MP2 only limped in, I'm totally at a loss for what he has. Either way, I'm committed to call this down.

-$10 for that hand.

Hand #4

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: ICP_Paul is MP1 with Th, Td.

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, ICP_Paul calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.



Flop: (5 SB) 8s, 7d, 6h (5 players)

SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, ICP_Paul bets, MP2 raises, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, ICP_Paul calls.



Turn: (5.50 BB) Jc (3 players)

SB checks, ICP_Paul checks, MP2 bets $0.5 (All-In), SB calls, ICP_Paul calls.



River: (6.25 BB) 6c (3 players, 1 all-in)

SB bets
, ICP_Paul calls.



Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Results:

SB shows 4s 6s (three of a kind, sixes).

ICP_Paul shows Th Td (two pair, tens and sixes).

MP2 shows Ad 6d (three of a kind, sixes).

Outcome: MP2 wins 6.25 BB. SB wins 2 BB.


Ugh. This one is brutal. On the turn, I'm a 73% favorite to win here.

-$5.50

Hand #5

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: ICP_Paul is SB with 4c, Ac.

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, ICP_Paul completes, BB checks.



Flop: (5 SB) 3h, Ad, 3c (5 players)

ICP_Paul bets
, BB calls, UTG+1 calls $1 (All-In), UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds.



Turn: (4.50 BB) 5s (4 players, 1 all-in)

ICP_Paul bets
, BB raises, UTG+2 folds, ICP_Paul calls.



River: (8.50 BB) Jh (3 players, 1 all-in)

ICP_Paul checks, BB bets, ICP_Paul calls.



Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results:

ICP_Paul shows 4c Ac (two pair, aces and threes).

BB shows 5d 5c (full house, fives full of threes).

UTG+1 shows 9s 5h (two pair, fives and threes).

Outcome: BB wins 10.50 BB.


This one made me sick. After the flop, I'm a 94% favorite here. BB has only the two remaining 5's as outs, and UTG+1 has one of them, so this guy basically has one card in the deck to screw me with. Sure enough, it comes on the river. -$8.

Hand #6

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: ICP_Paul is MP3 with 6d, 5d.

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, ICP_Paul calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB raises, BB calls, ICP_Paul calls.



Flop: (6 SB) Jd, Qd, Jh (3 players)

SB bets
, BB raises, ICP_Paul calls, SB calls.



Turn: (6 BB) Ad (3 players)

SB checks, BB bets, ICP_Paul calls, SB calls.



River: (9 BB) Td (3 players)

SB checks, BB checks, ICP_Paul checks.



Final Pot: 9 BB

Results:

SB shows As Kd (straight flush, ace high).

BB shows Js 7s (three of a kind, jacks).

ICP_Paul shows 6d 5d (flush, ace high).

Outcome: SB wins 9 BB.


This one is a soul crusher. It also illustrates how poor my memory is, since i cited this in a previous post and got it all wrong. In any event, I'm not sure I should have been here pre-flop, what with the raise from the SB. Once that flop hits, I'm sure I'm still a dog, but with the bet and raise, the pot is laying me 9-1 odds, and I can assume that'll be 10-1 since SB will call that raise, at least. If they get into a raising war, I'll benefit with better pot odds. Alas, they don't. The turn is my money card. It fills the flush, and it's an ace, so I hope to get action on it... So I CALL?!?. WTF is the matter with me?! Turns out I have excellent intuition. The 4th diamond screws me. Thus is the danger of playing small suited connectors. I got away light. -$6

Hand #7

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: ICP_Paul is SB with Ks, Kd.

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, ICP_Paul raises, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.



Flop: (8 SB) 5s, 8s, 6d (4 players)

ICP_Paul bets
, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.



Turn: (6 BB) 7h (4 players)

ICP_Paul bets
, BB raises, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, ICP_Paul folds.

This happened alot yesterday. Great starting hands, and the board just conspires against me. Luckily, this one came down pretty obvious, and the information bet gave me all I needed to know. Didn't take a slide rule to figure out that the raise indicated a made straight. Bye bye, Kings.

Hand #8

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: ICP_Paul is BB with Ad, 2d.

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB raises, ICP_Paul calls.



Flop: (4 SB) Ks, 7d, Jh (2 players)

SB checks, ICP_Paul bets, SB calls.



Turn: (3 BB) 4s (2 players)

SB checks, ICP_Paul bets, SB raises, ICP_Paul calls.



River: (7 BB) 2h (2 players)

SB bets
, ICP_Paul calls.



Final Pot: 9 BB

Results:

SB shows Kc Jc (two pair, kings and jacks).

ICP_Paul shows Ad 2d (one pair, twos).

Outcome: SB wins 9 BB.


This was just plain stupid poker. Totally forgetting the rule of "you cannot bluff in low limit", I sense the check calls from the SB as weakness and bet to make him go away. I probably should have started to clue in that something wasn't right when he check/called me on the flop. When the turn check/raise hit, that clue should have been about as obvious as a train coming down the tracks. Don't ask me what I called this down on 3 outs. I think this was one of those "tilt" losses. -$9 for getting schooled.

Okay, that's enough hand analysis for now.. Perhaps more later. Comments welcomed and encouraged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home