Saturday, June 05, 2004

Movin' On Up

What was starting out as a very bad day turned around nicely at the end. Started out with whimper...

$20+$2 - 6th - -$22

Saturday morning. Two type of people play Party on a Saturday morning. Rocks and drunks that would rather be asleep if not for the wife and kid waking them up from their slumber. I saw some hidiously bad card playing going on, but couldn't get the cards to make a move with. I ended up going too far with Big Slick and never made a recovery.

$20+$2 - 7th - -$22

This was infuriating. We're about 7 hands into the tourney. I'm the button and it's folded to me. I look down at Big Slick again and pop it about 3.5x BB. SB calls and BB folds, so I'm heads up with the SB. Flop comes Axx with two clubs. I bet out the pot and he calls. Hmmm. Turn comes a K and I'm thinking money here. I pop out a healthy bet and am called again. Now I figured he's on an ace, which is just fine with me. River comes a third club. I pop out another goodly bet and I'm re-raised. Uh oh. I call to be shown....

Wait for it....






wait for it.....

37c for the rivered flush.

Do not adjust your monitors. It really is a three and a seven. I dunno, maybe he thought he was doubling down or something... This puts me down to T200 and I'm generally fucked for the rest of the tourney. I last a few more rounds and find myself with pocket 5's in the SB and no callers. I shove and get called by 37-boy. He flips over pocket 6's and I fight not to puke on the monitor.

Goddamn kids.

$20+$2 - 1st - $+78

The nice thing about this win was, I did it with only passable hands. The table was ultra-tight and by level 3, we're still a full table and the big stack has like T1200... No real movement at all on this table. Once the blinds went to 50/100 I went into attack mode and the weak/tights just were handing chips over. I managed to chip up into a decent position when the short stacks finally decided it was time to start dancing, but it was too late for them, and we repidly found our way into the money, though by this time the blinds were up to 200/400. A couple of well placed shoves and I find myself the chip leader. The guy to my left was ultra weak/tight and it was no challange at all to steal his blind. When he finally DID make a stand he only had T600 left and managed to suck out the button on a draw. In fact, this table was full of miraculous draws. I was dead in the water with A5c when I pushed and was called up by KK. I sucked out the flush and lived to fight another day.

So now I'm just barely into the $30+$3 level. One shot, then I'll be back into the $20+$2 level again. Let's hope it's a good one.

In other news, Smarty doesn't pull it off. Guess we'll just have to wait till next year.

Farewell, Mr. President.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home