Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Choices

$10+$1 - 5th - -$11
$10+$1 - 9th - -$11
$10+$1 - 5th - -$11
$10+$1 - 4th - -$11

This game has ceased being any sort of fun. I am seriously considering quitting for a while. I'm clearly not making any progress in my game. My tournement play sucks, my ring game play is okay, but I can't get to a level where good play is rewarded, and I don't want to play beyond my bankroll.

I'm just not sure what else to do. Studying while playing low-limit seems counter-productive. There's absolutely no reward when you play a hand aggressively and some nipplehead nails you with some funky straight holding 36o. Constantly. I can't seem to connect with that "breakout night" where everything clicks and I suddenly have a healthy bankroll. Quite the opposite. This has been a slow bleed since I started the Challenge. Clearly I haven't busted on the Challenge yet, but since the texture of the $10+$1 games have changed so radically, you need to have good cards to make a play, and with T800 in chips and 7 people making it to the 100/200 blinds, it's a total crapshoot. If I play "by the book", I'll have done nothing for the first three levels, and my stack will be about T680. With 6 or 7 people left on and the blinds at 50/100, you get to make one move. If it's the wrong one, you're pretty much done. Or, worse, everyone folds to you and you gain one more orbit, at the most.

So, I have some choices to make.

3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Andres Silva said...

For whatever it's worth, I've found that I play my worst when stressed with other crap. I sit down thinking to myself that I'll escape the BS and play some cards, winning some coin will help blow the stress away. It never really seems to work out that way... ever. I have a friend who's in a similar situation and I'll offer the same advice I give him. My personal opinion on the matter from what I've read thus far is that you've got a game, you've been shell shocked with a string of losses and it never hurts to take a step back and do something else for a little while. You're bankroll will still be there and you can come back with some fresh air and a focus on playing your strong game. You might still lose, but a little perspective goes a long way to preserving your sanity.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain!

-Decker

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should consider Ultimate Bet SNG's. You start with 1000T and the blind structure makes much more sense.

--CJ
Up For Poker

 

Post a Comment

<< Home