Thursday, May 20, 2004

FPS

Jack, nothing tricky now. You know I'm on top of you! DO NOT attempt to grow a brain! - Howard Payne - Speed

FPS.

Fancy Play Syndrome.

Charactorized by the unexplainable urge to see hands like K9s as monsters in the early parts of tournements. Or the notion that you can "read into someone's soul" even though they're 2000 miles away in Switzerland and all you have to stare at is a small caritcature on your monitor.

Fancy Play Syndrome invariably leads to "Early Bustout Disease", Tilt and, if left untreated, Bankroll Death.

Don't let this happen to you. Should you or someone you love begin to experience Fancy Play Syndrome, take action immediately. Don't wait until it's too late!

Okay, so it seems like I've been getting "cute" with my tourney playing as of late, at least that's what a day of sitting down and really reviewing the hell out of my play has revealed. I'm making some hella loose calls and raises and of course when checked up on it, I lack sufficient resources to counterattack. I sat down and wrote down some rules for myself and refered to them often during my play today.

I think it worked.

$10+$1 - 1st - +$39
$10+$1 - 1st - +$39

That sure helps a bunch. Of course with all sit and goes, a little bit of luck goes a long way, but solid play won the day by far. And by solid, I mean rock solid. Antarctic ice sheet solid.

Of course, this play was probably less then solid, but it wasn't exactly a stupid play.

This is the 1st hand of the tournement. Yes, I know.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

CO (t800)
Button (t800)
SB (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
ICP_Paul (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)


Preflop: ICP_Paul is UTG+2 with Kh, As.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 folds, ICP_Paul raises to t55, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t55, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t45, BB folds, UTG folds.


Flop: (t195) Ah, Js, 3h (3 players)

SB bets t15
, ICP_Paul raises to t200, MP2 folds, SB raises to t385, ICP_Paul raises to t745 (All-In), SB calls t360 (All-In).


Turn: (t1685) Jc (2 players, 2 all-in)


River: (t1685) 4c (2 players, 2 all-in)


Final Pot: t1685
Main Pot: t1685 (t1685), between SB and ICP_Paul. >

Results:
SB shows 8s Ac (two pair, aces and jacks).
ICP_Paul shows Kh As (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: ICP_Paul wins t1685.

I really wasn't expecting him to call, but I figured he might. I can think of about a million things that could have gone wrong here, but if I folded out after the T200 raise, I'd be hurting. And heads up, I can't ask for much more then TPTK with a 3 flush. Of course, WTF is up with getting into a raising war with A8s? I will never know, but certainly it was nice to have T1685 going into the second hand of the tourney.

Anyhow, Looks like in two tourneys I've managed to right the ship, get the engines running, and bail the rest of the water out. Let's see how this goes...

1 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger The ICP said...

I think what prompted me to call this guy up was the T15 limp bet on the flop. It screamed "I hit an ace" to me, and if that was the case (as it was, luckily) I had him on the ropes.

I agree, though, it's a great opportunity to bust out in 10th, also...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home