Thursday, November 17, 2005

Trends

"Bears one hunerd tirty-two, Packers, negative tree!" - Superfans

Well, for the first time since I started this whole sit and go deal, I dropped briefly below my original $50. This slide reminds me of the one that ultimately put me out of poker for most of the year. I couldn't believe the difference in caliber of player from the $5 to the $10 level, and by that I mean that the skill level actually went down considerably, and the aggression of these really bad players went up. Normally, this would be a good thing, but unfortunately, you don't have time in a sit and go to just hang out and wait for the hand to club these idiots into submission with, so I'm forced to make moves with drawing hands, and you know how Party is about drawing hands. Forget odds, it's a crapshoot.

So, as for the challange, I've fallen back to the $5+$1 level to regroup and attempt to stop the bleeding, which I've been only mildly successful in doing. I've been hovering right at my original $50 for the last few rounds. I had a great opportunity to score a win on my last round, finding myself against a genuinely bad heads up player, but I ended up with a couple of bad draws and that was that.


Incredible how I managed to get my ass eaten out by the $10 level. I really honestly thought it was bad luck, but with a little research I found that I was mixing with these idiots a little too early in the game attempting to get into a decent position early, and many times I'd get into the later rounds somewhat crippled. I actually ran into a post I remember some time ago from the Poker Nerd, who was doing sit and goes for bankroll building, and getting some impressive numbers. He posted a little guide on how he does things so, since Doyle's advice seems to not be working, I've adopted his plan for a little while to see if I can get out of the basement here. Still, I'm awefully close to going bust here, so if I can score the 50% ROI he says he was getting with this strategy, I might still find myself out of it. Luck is a bitch.

Speaking of bitch, I saw on Coral (which now has about 3 dozen players, thanks to the Party split) that they had a $200 guerenteed NL tourney for $2+$0, with unlimited rebuys for $2 for the first hour and one add-on after the first hour. I'm never doing that again. The first 30 minutes was a complete all-in fest, and when the smoke cleared the luckiest of players (and I do mean the luckiest, because when you have a pot contested 4 ways all-in, skill is gone, my friends) had stacks around 12000 chips. Meanwhile those that were unlucky ended up with stacks anywhere from 2000 to 3500 chips. My the end of the first hour the average stack size was 5500 chips. I had 2800. What a waste of time. My math was wrong anyway.. There were only like 30 people in the tourney, and with a $200 guerenteed pool, the overlay was tremendous...With all the rebuys, though, that was out the window. Unless I didn't do any rebuys, but for that to have worked, I'd have had to get lucky at least twice inside of 30 minutes. May as well have walked up to a slot machine. I was out in 14th, remarkably.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home