Wednesday, December 03, 2003

The Incredible Lightness of My Bankroll

This would be a bad time to be in a tail slide.

But sliding I am.

I actually got quite a bit of poker in today on the 50/1 tables. I'm now down to playing 1 table since my bankroll sucks enough not to support two tables with a deep enough bankroll, so the going is slow. Especially since my dry spell of cards is continuing... I got bored folding everything and scraping the (very) occasional $3 or $4 pot, so I figured what the heck, I'll try a $6 sit and go.

Giant mistake.

My dry run of cards followed me to the S&G like a hungry puppy. I did get a couple of passable hands, but my attempts to press them met a wall of over-the-top raising resistance, and I lacked the intestinal fortitude to go all in early with hands such as QJo. So, of course, since Party only gives you 800 chips to start with, I was promptly in deep chit. This was made much worse because three maniacs took turns trying to all-in each other, and one guy managed to pick both of the others off. He then proceeded to start pushing short stacks around with his monster stack, and of course, I was one of the shorties he was playing ball with. The end result was, any attempted bet at the pot was instantly an all-in affair, and I just couldn't sit around waiting for a monster hand to make my stand. Crapped out in 7th. Fook.

So, now I'm steaming. I sit and think for a moment, then decide, screw it, I'm either going to bust or I'm going to profit, but I am not going to hold back when I get a nice hand...

And the sky did part, and the light did come from on high. Yea, did he press the pot when he thought he had the nuts.

It was amazing. Just as soon as I gave up on protecting my bankroll and decided to just play tight/agressive poker, things started clicking! It was a wonderful feeling. I was mad. I was attacking, but not wrecklessly. I was, as Dan Patrick would say, en fuego.

Unfortunately, I had to go to work, so I was only en fuego for about 30 minutes, but it was enough to scratch back all but $5 of my morning of beaten ass.

My trouble is, I'm still deep in the red zone of acceptable bankroll to ride out the expected varience on the low limit tables. At this point, though, I lack the ability to care. Losing by being scared sucks. If I'm going down, it's going to be with my guns blazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home